Supplier Training Programme
What is the purpose of BCI’s Supplier Training?
BCI’s Supplier Training is designed to help BCI Retailer and Brand Members jump-start a new Better Cotton sourcing programme or expand an existing one. This training can be delivered on-site or via an online webinar. The training webinar will last between one hour and one hour 30 minutes. The on-site training may last longer. As part of BCI’s membership services, Supplier Training is offered on-site free of charge in the following countries: China, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Turkey.
Who should attend?
Suppliers sourcing Better Cotton who are new to the world of BCI are encouraged to attend. End product manufacturers, fabric mills, and spinners are ideal candidates.
Where are the trainings held?
Securing a venue for the training is the responsibility of the hosting BCI Member. Depending on the number of suppliers you will invite to your training, this could be a space within your office or an outside venue.
What does the training agenda look like?
(This is the standard training agenda).
Desired outcomes for suppliers
Suppliers will gain the technical knowledge to start sourcing Better Cotton, including:
- Better Cotton Chain of Custody requirements
- Mass-balance system and how it can be used to the suppliers advantage
- How to use the Better Cotton Platform (documentation requirements)
Desired outcomes for retailers and brands
Engaging suppliers in a small group setting to:
- Inform suppliers about your increasing Better Cotton volume targets
- Motivate suppliers to get involved and become BCI champions
- Gauge suppliers’ interest and ability to help you reach your Better Cotton targets
- Work with suppliers to cement volume targets
What does BCI expect from Retailer and Brand Members?
BCI has several expectations from Members organising a Supplier Training:
- Contact suppliers and invite them to the training
- Gather suppliers in a designated venue
- Own the day. Be proactive in identifying potential road blocks for your sourcing programme and find solutions together with your suppliers. This is a great opportunity for supplier on-boarding.
Organise a Supplier Training
Please contact BCI to arrange the date and the format (webinar or on-site) of the training:
- For China: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For India and Bangladesh: email@example.com
- For Pakistan and South East Asia: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For Turkey: email@example.com
- For Europe, America and other locations: firstname.lastname@example.org
Webinar training should be scheduled with BCI at least two weeks prior to the proposed training date. On-site training needs to be scheduled at least four weeks in advance – we also require representatives of at least 10 different suppliers to be present.
BCI respectfully requests Members to limit bookings to one training per country in the calendar year.
Supplier Training FAQ
How many suppliers can attend a single training?
As many suppliers as possible within your Better Cotton Sourcing Programme can attend the training. The types of suppliers that should be included are spinners, fabric mills, garment manufacturers and agents.
Is the number of attendees per supplier limited?
There is no limit if the training is delivered by webinar. For in-person on-site training, you should decide how many attendees per supplier you’d like to invite to your training, since the venue will be provided by your company. BCI strongly suggests that at a minimum, the raw material purchaser (raw cotton, yarn, or fabric buyer) and a sales person from your supplier should be present at the training.
What is the suggested maximum number of attendees per training?
There is no suggested maximum number of attendees per training. The more suppliers you can reach at the same training, the more efficiently your programme can progress.
Who should attend the training representing my suppliers?
The purchasing manager for raw materials and your supplier account manager should be present at the training. Please remember that it is your suppliers who will do the procurement of Better Cotton-related raw materials and pass you the BCCUs accordingly as you place orders. Therefore, it is essential that the right staff from your suppliers are trained.
Can I customise the agenda for my training?
BCI provides a suggested standardised agenda. This agenda is based on training your suppliers who have never sourced Better Cotton-related raw materials. The agenda includes all the basic information a supplier needs to know before sourcing Better Cotton and transferring BCCUs to your online account. However, for advanced suppliers, the agenda can be customised.