The Better Cotton Initiative (BCI) is the largest cotton sustainability programme in the world. Last year, we and our partners provided training on more sustainable agricultural practices to 1.6 million farmers around the globe, and we mobilised €8.9 million in field-level investment. We are truly a joint effort, encompassing organisations all the way from farms to fashion and textile brands, driving the cotton sector towards sustainability.
KEY FARM-LEVEL FIGURES FROM THE 2015/16 SEASON
- Through our partners, BCI trained 1.6 million farmers of whom 1.5 million received licenses. These farmers came from 23 countries on five continents.
- BCI Farmers produced 2.5 million metric tonnes of Better Cotton lint. This is enough cotton to make 2.5 billion pairs
- BCI Farmers produced Better Cotton on 3.5 million hectares, which is more than the land mass of Belgium.
MEMBERSHIP AND SOURCING FIGURES FROM 2016
- BCI had 986 members (66 retailers and brands, 846 suppliers and manufacturers, 31 producer organisations, 33 civil society members, and 10 associate members).
- Retailer and brand members sourced 461,000 metric tonnes of Better Cotton.
- Spinner members sourced 807,000 metric tonnes of Better Cotton.
- BCI worked with 66 strategic and implementing partners who come from the private and public sectors, and civil society.
10 THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT THE BETTER COTTON INITIATIVE
Click on each square to read the full fact.
For questions or further resources, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org